Tanjung Aru, Kota Kinabalu

Tanjung Aru, Kota Kinabalu

Friday, February 22, 2008

Happy Birthday Sean!

Good day, mate!

Wow, it's been a month since I wrote anything. Well, I have been busy handing over stuffs at work, preparing for CNY and also getting ready for my departure. Limitation to internet connection also crippled my efforts.

I am now sitting on the floor near the Social Sciences and Humanities Library in St Lucia campus, University of Queensland. Not that I want to, but I got chased out due to a fire alarm. I am now waiting for the green light to enter the library. I am running out of battery!

I have been staying at a backpackers for 7 days now. This place is a bit dodgy but still considered clean. I usually goes out at about 9am and come back only at night, for shower and sleep. Now, a bit of update on events for the past week.

Day 1 - 16th Feb 08

Touched down at 9.30am. Reached backpackers in the city at 11.30am. No, the journey from airport to the city does not take 3 hours. You see, I booked this UQ reception service, which includes airport pick-up and transportation to accommodation. But not only me, there were other students too. Therefore, it takes time to drop everyone off. Along the way, I made my first 3 friends in Brisbane - Mark (Singapore), Karina (KL) and Geraldine (Johor).

Day 2 - 17th Feb 08

In the morning, I was walking towards the city. And on the way, I made my next four friends - KC (Ipoh), Raymond (China) and Terence & Wilson (HK).They were on their way to the city too. So, I tagged along and had my first lunch with them - Hungry Jacks (Burger King in the rest of the world).

I bought a prepaid SIM card. After conducted survey with 3 networks, I chosed 3. The others are Optus and Vodaphone. If you want my number, email me!

Later that evening, we helped Terence & Wilson to move to their new place in Sunnybanks. It is is Zone 3, a bit far for me. And it smells Indian in that house. And there are 2 pet dogs.

Day 3 to day 6 - 18th Feb 08 to 21st Feb 08

Orientation week, so has been busy attending all sort of briefings. Although some of them are boring, but I have to give credit to the university that everything was conducted very professionally. It makes me so welcomed here.

Also, during these days, I have been hunting for a place to stay for the semester. It is hardwork and exhausting because:
  • Rooms availability is limited. The university has a website where students post any vacant rooms for rent. That is my main reference. And it is like watching share market. Have to be quick to view the place as it can be taken up anytime.
  • Many other students are without accommodation. This leads to demand is higher than supply (for rooms near to university). This caused price increase. Some lessors even take advantage of this situation and accept bidding.
  • Dodgy queenslander house or modern townhouse. Most houses around is of the queesnlander type. Huge house, made of wood and you might hear possums running on the roof at night.
  • Room mates.

However, this is a great experience as I get to know the suburns and roads around St Lucia. Also good exercise, as I believe I walked more than 3 km everyday. And yes, I am slimmer now. Ha ha!

Day 7 - today

It's my 28th birthday. And I found a place to stay!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi dude, i was wondering since early morning...how should I contact you, cant sms pun coz not sure u still use the malaysia num, u tak online MSN pun... Then I think I should come to your blog and leave u a birthday wish. And manatau after so long you finally updated your blog. :D Happy Birthday!!! Enjoy~ Cheer~

^^Theng

Pikaping said...

Good that you found a place to stay!! Happy Birthday! Enjoy! Finally you updated your blog.. wanted to chat with you just now when i saw you on MSN, but somehow got drag away from my cube!

**Shih Nyien** said...

Happy be-lated birthday!
I send u an sms to your Malaysia phone number, I guess you didn't receive it.
Give me your phone number and address, you might get an be-lated birthday present, who knows?
Sounds like you are settling down, GOOD!
Take care my dear friend :)